This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.


Non-Emergency Patient Transport Service (NEPTS)

new Contact Telephone Number is:

0208 045 4254

Patients must ensure that they have their NHS number to hand when they call to book a journey.

Patient information about local transport services is also available at the below website: - Help and advice on getting to your healthcare appointment.

Patient transport is available to eligible residents who have a medical and mobility needs for transport to health appointments and who are registered with a GP in Bedfordshire or Hertfordshire.

Calls to the new number will be answered 24 hours per day 7 days a week by helpline assistants.  They will advise patients who need information about transport to hospital or health appointments and assess their eligibility for non-emergency transport.  Journeys can be booked between 2 weeks and two working days in advance. On the day bookings can sometimes be accommodated but cannot be guaranteed. 

For transport to NHS Hospitals or clinics in Bedfordshire/Luton/Hertfordshire footprint and within the contracted geographical areas, e.g. Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire and London

  • Patients will be assessed and accessible transport will be booked for those patients whose medical need or mobility means that they cannot travel by any other means (including family and friends, taxi or voluntary car service). 

For transport to hospitals or clinics outside Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire/Luton footprint and contracted geographical areas

  • Call handlers will provide advice and assistance for these journeys.   

Patients who are not eligible for the patient transport service will be advised on alternative door-to-door transport options, such as the voluntary car scheme. There is usually a charge for this transport.

Patients on low incomes can claim reimbursement under the Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme. Unless attending a hospital with a cash office, claims will need to be made by post using a HC5 (T) form.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website